Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger


Though normally I don't care for fantasy, I did find the time travel aspects of this book moderately interesting. It was written of as a genetic defect in a way that made it seem more 'real' than if it were written as pure science fiction.

The story is about the love between Henry, the time traveler, and Clare. From Clare's point of view they meet when she is 6 yrs. old and he is 36. They meet in real time when Clare is 20 and Henry 28. The books chapters are written alternately from Clare's and Henry's viewpoints. The chapters are headed with a listing of the date and the ages of Clare and Henry at the time. Not being able to read this entire, somewhat long, book at one sitting, I found it somewhat hard to keep track of who was who, and what was when, and what had already happened, or what was in the future.

For all it's length, the author didn't really develop the personalities of the characters that much. Henry the son of musicians, was an alcoholic and did drugs, but managed to hold a job as a librarian. Clare, a paper artist,  came from a weathy pampered  background and seemed to only work on her art, apparently not needing a day job. Once the two of them met in their twenties, their relationship seemed to be based almost entirely on sex. That became tiresome when I would have rather learned something more about them as people.

I did want to see what happened, but it took a long time for the book to get there. A lot of what was written about seemed peripheral to the story, and I found myself wishing the author would just get on with it.

There was some good almost poetic writing in the book, and I enjoyed the setting in Chicago since I am familiar with many of the places mentioned.

I gave this book a 3 star rating (liked it) on Goodreads, but really would have rather given it 2 1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment